Montserrat tour + Colonia Güell - Gaudi Crypt
This tour combine Montserrat mountain with charming and little known village Colonia Guell built by Gaudi.
Did you know that Gaudi crypt is another unfinished church?
For many visitors a trip to Spain Barcelona, Montserrat is the highlight of their visit. Montserrat is a spectacularly beautiful holy mountain with dramatic rock formations and nearly 1000 years old Benedictine monastery. Venture into a Catalan countryside, learn about Montserrat Abbey, “La Moreneta” or Black Virgin. and have a lunch in one of the best restaurant in Montserrat.
Colonia Guell captivates tourists because of its charm and the tranquility. Visitors can walk around all the while observing beautiful, singular buildings created by modernist architects.
You will be picked up at your hotel in Barcelona and we will drive south-west, along the valley of river Llobregat. We will drive past several small towns, crops and mountains. After approximately 50 minutes we will reach the Monastic site of Montserrat. The views are astonishing, you will be delighted to learn about the legends and the history of the place. Upon arrival, your guided tour consists of visit throughout the Basilica and Monastery, with free time to explore the site on your own afterwards. There are many activities to choose from – you may want to touch the Black Madonna, visit the one of the best museum in Catalonia with Picasso , Caravaggio or Dalí works, make your way to the Holy Cave, ride a funicular to the top of the mountain, or shop at the farmer´s market. At 1pm you will be able to listen to the boy’s choir that usually sing everyday except Saturdays and on school holidays. The Escolania choir is one of the oldest Boy´s Choir in Europe and it is absolutely an experience to see and hear them sing.
On the way back to Barcelona we will stop in Santa Coloma de Cervelló, 23 km southwest of Barcelona, where Colonia Guell is located. One of the most avant-garde industrial neighborhoods of the 19th century. You will learn about the history and very special relationship between Gaudi and his patrón Guell.
In 1890, social conflicts forced Eusebi Güell, businessman and patron, to move his textile factory from Barcelona to Santa Coloma de Cervelló. The new project consisted of the creation of an industrial colony with social services that will improve the quality of life of the workers: single-family homes, athenaeum, theater, school, shops, gardens and church. The Gaudi crypt is his best kept secret.
Before we return to Barcelona you will enjoy some free time.
- As a general rule, the Boys’ Choir sings from Monday to Friday at 1:00 pm and on Sundays at 12:00 am. They do not sing on Saturday. They are on holidays in July
- The weather in Montserrat is colder than the city center. Wearing a sweatshirt or sweater will be a good idea.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Cablecar*: If you are not scared of heights you can choose option of cablecar to get to the monastery. The ride takes less than 5 minutes, and even if guides can’t skip lines, there isn’t usually many people when we get there. Not recommended for people with walking issues either, as the walk from the upper station to the Monastery is uphill and involves some steps.
WHAT WILL YOU SEE
Montserrat is a mountain, a unique Natural Park, a massive rock over 4000 feet high, visible for miles, with weird shapes and rounded peaks that just into the sky; there are walks, paths, stairs, with caves and hermitages scattered over the mountain, and mysterious rocks and wonderful views.
Montserrat is a Benedictine monastery nearly 1000 years old, perched half way up the mountain and sheltered by its peaks. This is the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Montserrat, popularly called “La Moreneta” as she is black, patron saint of Catalonia and a presence strongly felt and revered. and for nearly a thousand years Benedictine monks have lived atop the mountain to welcome pilgrims to her shrine.The community of monks also run a boys’ school devoted to the study of music, and a famous choir. The choir is made up of 30 boys, 10 to 14 years old, and considered one of the oldest boys’ choirs in Europe, documented from 1223.
Montserrat museum with paintings by Greco, Picasso and Dalí among many others and treasures from ancient Egypt including a mummy. Our Lady’s Chapel, located in the Basilica, is usually open from 8:30 to 10:00 and from 12:00 to 18:30.
Colonia Güell The path through the industrial Colonia captivates tourists because of its charm and the traquility this vestiges of the palpable 19th century atmosphere kept alive between its streets and buildings. Currently, an important piece of historic and artistic heritage remains in the Colonia Güell
Gaudi´s Crypt The main importance of the church of the Colonia Güell in so far as Gaudi goes is that this is where Gaudi brought together for the first time all of his architectural innovations. As Gaudi said, had the church been finished it would have been a “monumental model of the Sagrada Familia”
Exhibition Located in the Colony’s old cooperative, it offers a global vision on what the estate was, how its people lived and the works of Antoni Gaudi.
WHY GAUDÍ TOURS?
- Skip line at all top sites. No need to pre-purchase tickets yourself.
- Experts in Gaudí and Modernism
- Professional and fully licensed local guides
- Totally flexible.
- Personalized visit adapting to your characteristics, age, condition or interests.
- Small Group preference (1 – 9 people). We use individual radio guide for each assistant with big group.
- No burdens, no agglomerations, no rush.
- Travel tips from friends: recommendations to help you plan the rest of your stay in Barcelona.
This private tour is done by chauffer-driven car/minivan and expert guide at your service during the 5 hours of the private tour.
*Note: Entrance fees to the houses will be added to the final price depending on the number of people.
Feel free to ask any question about this private tour ask at firstname.lastname@example.org